Vaginal itching is exceedingly shaming and incommodious. Ladies facing this problem find it very inconvenient to stay outdoors as they have to deal with such an embarrassing situation. There is a lot of discomfort associated with such complaints.
What causes vaginal itching?
Vaginal itching can be caused due to a pathological reason i.e. bacteria or fungus or a physiological reason. It can also be caused due to external factors that are introduced resulting in a vaginal itch.
- Chemical irritants that are introduced from the exterior can cause a great deal of vaginal itching. Examples of such irritants are creams, douches, condoms, contraceptives, soap of any form and fabric softeners can give rise to vaginal itching.
- Menopause can cause vaginal itching due to the reduction of the female hormone estrogen. Lack of this hormone dries and thins out the vaginal walls leading to itching.
- Bacterial Vaginosis is inflammation of the vagina caused due to bacteria that gives rise to vaginal itching, discharge, burning and fishy odor.
- STD?s (Sexually transmitted diseases) also can give rise to vaginal itching coupled with other symptoms
- Lichen sclerosus, a rare condition that gives rise to white patches and mostly affects menopausal women. This also can give rise to vaginal itching.
- Yeast infection better known as vaginal candidiasis occurs due to the growth of yeast. Causes of yeast growth are pregnancy, intercourse, antibiotics and individuals with a weak immune system. Along with itching, the yeast will produce a thick white discharge similar to curds.
- Vaginal itching due to psoriasis
- Anxiety related vaginal itching (Stress amplifies small sensations causing vaginal itch)
10 ways to prevent vaginal itch…
Vaginal itch can be prevented by the following ways:
- Maintaining perineal hygiene is the most important aspect of vaginal itch. Taking regular baths and cleaning the area with plain water and soap will help.
- Wearing cotton undergarments will help absorb sweat and not cause further growth of bacteria.
- Avoiding any form of vaginal douche, creams, sprays, bubble bath or scented tissues is a must.
- After using the restroom cleaning must be done from the front to the back to avoid any infection transferring from back to front.
- If you sweat a lot, cleaning and keeping area dry is necessary. Also if in wet clothes, one must change to dry clothes as quickly as possible.
- Monitor and keep blood sugar levels in control.
- Avoiding heat that causes excessive sweating will help. And scratching only increases the problem.
- Consult your gynecologist for the use of contraceptives in order to prevent STD?s and also for alleviating the problem during menopause.
- If there is vaginal dryness, a water-based lubricant can be applied before intercourse.
- Changing diaper of infants regularly.
Treating the condition
In Homoeopathy, the product Doliosis D51 Femoitch is very effective in relieving vaginal itching, irritation & dryness. Each of the components acts on the source of itching and reduces it. This product has no side effects and is easy to consume. It can be taken with other medicines, for females of all age groups.