Are you planning a trip since holidays are around the corner? That’s lovely! But you remember that you end up being motion sick every time you travel and every time you remember it, you get concerned. It is loathsome to carry sickness bags wherever you roam while traveling.
Motion Sickness- What is it?
Motion sickness is also known as travel sickness (depending on the type of travel it is also termed as air sickness, sea sickness, simulation sickness or car sickness). In medical terminology, it is known as Kinetosis. It is a condition wherein there is a disparity in what is perceived through vision and what is sensed by the vestibular system. In simple terms, the inner ear is disturbed due to the movements that are experienced while travelling (which may be by car, flight, ship or even in a simulator)
Recognizing Motion Sickness
A person with motion sickness is bound to go through one or many of the following symptoms
- A unwell feeling which accompanies huge amounts of discomfort
- Dizziness and/ drowsiness
- Nausea and / vomiting
- Pallor and / short breath
Why does Motion Sickness occur?
Motion sickness is caused when there is a conflict between two of your senses i.e. one part of the system that senses balance senses that you are moving but other parts don’t sense it. For example moving in a ship is not perceived by the eye but the inner ear can sense the motion of the waves. This leads to a dissimilarity resulting in a motion sickness.
Easing your Motion Sickness
- During travel, it is better to take short naps or keep eyes closed. This reduces the imbalance caused between eyes and the inner ear.
- Eating a light diet while traveling will help. Foodstuff that is spicy and that have a strong odor should be avoided.
- Chewing on foodstuff or gum may help reduce mild effects of Motion sickness.
- It is said that chewing on a piece of ginger helps to alleviate symptoms.
- While traveling in a car or train try to focus your gaze towards the horizon in the direction of the vehicle. It’ll help in re-orientation of the balance between vision and the inner ear.
- Inhaling fresh air and keeping windows open during a car travel eases symptoms. Closed windows and any smell in that environment, just worsen the condition and make you feel sicker.
- Do not consume alcohol while traveling.
- Acupressure might provide some help in motion sickness.
- If traveling by car, try to sit in the front seat and do not read or watch anything using electronic devices
- If traveling by flight, ask for a seat near the wings as the motion is not felt much here. In long flights try to eat lighter meals.
- Ship traveling also causes motion sickness. Hence, try to book a cabin in the centre of the ship where movements of the ship are least felt.
Treating the condition with Homoeopathy
Doliosis D74 Travelease (Homoeopathic medicine) is known to curb symptoms of motion sickness. It eases symptoms like a headache, nausea, vomiting and vertigo associated with travel sickness. It is easy to take this product and it does not have any side effects. It can be consumed with other medication, for all age groups.