At some point or other we might have experienced a painful mouth ulcer which appears near the lips or the inner cheek that limits us from talking eating or drinking. Mouth ulcers are very painful and annoying to deal with.
What is a Mouth Ulcer?
Mouth ulcers are raw and painful lesions that occur in the oral cavity.
Reasons for the occurrence of Mouth Ulcers…
Ulcers that occur in the mouth are due to the top mucosal layer of the mouth getting destroyed due to some damage that has occurred locally. So majorly the reason for mouth ulcers is due to some form of injury. Most commonly ulcers occur due to:
1) Biting of the inner cheek accidentally, while chewing
2) Dentures those are ill-fitting
3) Food that is tough to chew can cause damage to the mucosal lining of the mouth leading to ulcers.
4) Dental filling that has not been done properly/ sharp tooth surface
5) Acidic and spicy food can lead to mouth ulcers
Many a time the predominant cause lies in other illnesses that lead to the formation of mouth ulcers.
- Immunocompromised individuals are more prone to mouth ulcers
- Nutritional deficiencies (Deficiency of Zinc, Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Iron, etc.) can also lead to multiple problems, mouth ulcer being one of them
- Diseases of the digestive tract such as Celiac Disease & Crohn’s Disease
- Smoking not only causes ulcers but also accentuates them
- Intake of certain medications such as painkillers can cause ulcers
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy
What can you do to prevent your sores?
- Avoid spicy and sharp, acidic foods that cause damage to the mucosa leading to the formation of ulcers
- Stop smoking
- Brushing with a soft-bristled toothbrush after meals not only removes all the food content from the mouth but also prevents any triggers for sore formation.
- Reduce stress
- Correct nutritional deficiencies if any
If a person has got an ulcer and is refusing to get well, one must look into the reason. If it has worsened, it is better to see a health care professional because the reason behind ulcers can be something grave. Other reasons are Gingivostomatitis, Viral affections such as Herpes Simplex and Leucoplakia, Oral cancer, Lichen planus and Oral Thrush.
Treating the condition
OTC gels may soothe ulcers are available for providing relief from the burning pain. As a home remedy, many people apply ice wrapped in a paper towel or used tea bags (tannin is known for its pain relieving properties) to provide a temporary relief from the burning pain.
The Homoeopathic Product Doliosis D14 Oroheal is a marvel for reducing pain and the discomfort associated with mouth ulcers. There are no side effects upon the use of this medicine. This product is easy to take and also it can be consumed with other medicines, for all age groups.