What are Earaches?
Ear aches though commonly occur in children can also occur in adults and can be very painful. It is mostly experienced as a dull, sharp or a burning pain that can be continuous or comes and goes. Usually, pain is unilateral but can affect both ears too. Kids suffering from this malady become very irritable and difficult to manage.
Why does it occur?
- Ear pains may occur due to colds, flu, or infection (E.g. Streptococcus) which might be associated with signs of infection such as fever.
- Many people have ear pains due to changes in the atmospheric pressure while traversing in an elevator or airplane travel.
- Excessive formation of earwax that builds up the pressure in the ear, cause pain.
- A sudden increase in pain along with the discharge of fluid from the ear canal may signify a ruptured eardrum (which can happen due to a middle ear infection or after hearing a very loud noise) that can lead to a temporary or permanent hear loss.
- Chronic pains occur may be coupled with some conditions that are accompanied by tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Referred pains to the ear can occur when some other nearby structure is affected such as the brain, jaw or teeth.
- A foreign object in the ear can also lead to an ear ache
- Arthritis that affects the jaw
- Conditions of tooth (impacted tooth, using braces)
- Eczema near the ear canal
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Swimmers ear (Otitis Externa)
Care at Principal Level and Prevention
- A cold pack may relieve an ear ache when applied for a while.
- An upright position helps in relieving symptoms.
- If the pain is due to change in pressure, swallowing, chewing a gum or a Valsalva maneuver will help in reduction of the pain. For an infant sucking on a bottle or breast feeding will provide some relief.
- Avoid smoking as second-hand smokes cause ear infections especially in children.
- Do not put any object in the ears with the intention of cleaning.
- Dry ears well after a bath of swimming.
- Try to stop any factors that cause allergy.
Treating the condition
Commonly people buy OTC drops to cure their symptoms of ear aches. Others try to use home remedies to treat their ear aches. It is advisable not to put any oil or any other home remedy into the ear especially if there is a suspected rupture of the ear drum. Introducing objects or some remedy into the ear might only flare up the infection all the more.
Doliosis D6 Earogin, a Homoeopathic product is particularly designed to relieve pain in the ear that arises from infection and also pains that are caused due to air travel. There are no side effects upon the use of this medicine. It is easy to take this product and also it can be consumed with other medicines, for all age groups.